Friday, January 12, 2007

We really are a lucky country

How lucky am I. I have friends Tracy and Peter Henwood in Jamestown in South Australia about 1800kls away. Tracy rang to tell me mutual friends from Tennant Creek, Janelle and Brian had visited with her for a hour or so on their way home from holidays. Tracy has sent some bottled fruit that they have preserved home for me with Janelle and Brian. In the past I have also received home made jam which was delicious. This morning I got a phone call from another lot of friends Trish and Charlie in Borroloola near the Gulf of Carpentaria about 800 kilometres away. Borroloola is a very popular fishing spot. Anyway Trish rang to say Charlie had been fishing and caught a Baramundi and she was sending it down to Tennant Creek for me on a plane that was leaving within the hour and could I be at the airport to pick it. This is asking the girl that lives in the middle of the desert, where fresh means frozen bread, where the only fresh thing is air and where the only place to go fishing was with a pack of cards. Could I be at the airport !!!! So there I was when Alex the pilot landed at 10.45 am with my freshly caught, beautifully filleted fish. And just to top it off there is enough for 8 dinners for me....am I sharing, not on your Nellie. lol

6 comments:

Paula, the quilter said...

And it is so nice to have such sharing friends!

Kay said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog, Sue. I had never heard of barramundi until we went to Australia a few years ago. I liked it very much--it's a mild enough fish that a non-fish lover like me appreciated it. Now I see it on menus here occasionally, and I always think about where I first ate it, in Cairns.

Tracy said...

Yummmm Where's my share?

Cynthia said...

what great friends you have. Can't believe the distance the barumundi travelled to reach you. The bottled fruit will be nice too.

Anastasia said...

Hi Sue!
I hope you enjoyed the fish! Im making fish cakes for dinner tonight.
I havnt got the email about the swap as yet but if you wanted to email me the details and what things you love/do that will be great!!
aa.christou@optusnet.com.au
ciao
Anastasia

Aunt Jenny said...

Yum.....fresh fish sounds lovely!! I havn't had good fresh fish since our last visit "back home" to the central coast of Calif. Here in land locked Utah we do get trout in summer..but just not the same as some of the wonderful fresh saltwater fish. Enjoy it!!